SR 00 – Next Gear
A FORWARD THINKING APPROACH TO SAFETY
Next Gear is our agenda that builds safety resilience into the organisation, founded on engagement and trust. Where we place our people at the heart of safety decision making and where safety performance focusses on understanding success and the many things that go right.
Next Gear challenges us to move beyond traditional safety practices and measures, by applying a framework described in the three principles:
- People are the solution (vs people are the problem)
- Safety in the presence of positives (vs safety is the absence of negatives)
- Safety is an ethical responsibility (vs safety is a bureaucratic activity)
These are supported through a number of tactics which bring the principles to life across our workplaces:
- Focusing on high consequence risks
- Investigating for success
- Reducing bureaucracy and simplifying systems
- Empowering our workforce through engagement and trust
- Leadership that challenges traditional thinking.
At the heart of our approach is the belief that safety critical messages should be delivered by the business for the business. To this end our campaigns and engagement programs are delivered by operational leaders, staff and workforce.
As a business we recognise that statistics are not necessarily an indicator of safety success. This doesn’t mean we lose focus on preventing incidents, but we look beyond the failures to also identify the positives. We achieve this by placing empowered people at the centre of decision making and in doing so ensure transparency and accountability for safety.
This is how we believe everyone will return home safely every day.
|Resources and Tools|